9 Reasons Why You Really, Really, Really Want to Join Ross Summer Connection
What is Ross Summer Connection
Have you gotten an email from Lauren Clarkson inviting you to join Ross Summer Connection? Are you also confused about what that is and why they are offering you 2k just to do it? Ross Summer Connection, or RSC for short, is a pipeline program aimed at helping students transition from high school to college. For a little over three weeks during the summer, students live in the dorms and take classes within the Ross School of Business. These classes are in Economics 101, BA 100, Math 105/115 (depending on whether or not you bombed the placement exam), and more. You probably are wondering whether or not you should go, so I've outlined the decision for you. You're welcome.9 Reasons For RSC
1. Friends Before Anyone Else
A big worry I had when entering the University of Michigan was whether or not I would be able to find friends within such a big college. In our grade alone, there are over 7,000 students. Coming to RSC, I was scared that I would not be able to get along with any of the 33 students, but I was quickly proven wrong. I connected with all of the students (some more than others honestly) and never found myself alone throughout the duration of the program. I was close to my roommate for the program, which I was assigned to blind.
2. Free College Classes
RSC requires that you attend classes every day from 9 am to 5 pm with breaks in between. While this sounds annoying to do in the summer, it's helpful to get ready to put yourself on a schedule. It also gives you a leg up when you have to take those classes in the Fall or Winter semester. Since a lot of the classes you take in the summer are graded on a curve in the fall, the classes you take during RSC put you ahead of the curve literally. Although the classes during the summer went fast, it prepared me for everything I would encounter during my first semester in college. What's a Canvas discussion? How do you do Team Homework? How do you submit homework? These questions were answered for me without having to experience it myself. Also, the grades received in these classes are not actual classes in the University, meaning that they are not taken for a grade and reflected on your GPA, so it is the ultimate practice for your first semester.
3. Presentations that Connect
So, at this point, you have accepted your offer to go to the University of Michigan, specifically Ross. You've probably noticed how well funded the Ross program is and how the Business school has all kinds of outreach opportunities to help its students grow as individuals and as future businessmen. Well, I can assure you that there are a lot more opportunities than you are aware of, in fact, a lot of students don't become aware of all these programs that are offered till their Sophmore year. However, by joining RSC, you become aware of these programs before entering Ross. Every couple of days, participants hear a presentation from one of the heads of these various programs. For instance, during our last week at RSC, our cohort heard a presentation outlining the various study abroad opportunities offered for each grade by Ross and how a student can receive funding. These presentations give you an idea of what you would like to do throughout your four-year journey.
4. Getting Used to Dorm Life
This upcoming fall is probably going to be your first time living by yourself. For many, this means learning how to do laundry, how to set a schedule, and how to not live in a pile of dirty clothes and trash. RSC provides students with a trial experience of living away from their parents. No, Lauren and Rhonda will not be showing you how to do your laundry or yell at you to clean your room (that's your roommate's job, which I did plenty of times to my roommate). It does provide you the opportunity to experience figuring it out for yourself in a low-risk way. You don't have the distractions of Welcome Week, clubs, or classes like other students that are entering in the fall will when figuring out how to do these things. You can start to figure out a schedule for yourself. I learned that I liked to sweep and clean the actual room. I hated doing laundry, so my roommate would do it for both of us. You don't have to follow our example, but that was a system that we figured out in RSC.
5. Art Fair
In August, the streets of Ann Arbor crowd with people and tents for the annual Art Fair. There are sales at all the local stores (even Urban Outfitters so it's normally priced for once) and stands full of art by local artists. The start of RSC coincided with the beginning of the Art Fair, so I was able to get see all of Ann Arbor while getting to know my cohort. It was a cool experience that most undergraduates will not have if they are not in Ann Arbor over the summer.
6. Detroit Experience
It's easy to forget that there's a major city right by Ann Arbor. Detroit is a 45-minute drive from Ann Arbor and is a cultural hub full of rich history. Through RSC, you embark on a day trip to visit Detroit and famous locations within the city. It's a fun experience that connects students with everything that Michigan has to offer while bonding the students. I will never forget the memories I made with my best friends as we walked around Little Ceasar's arena and sung in the recording studio of the Motown museum.
7. Case Competition
For three weeks, you meet with your case competition group. You and your team work on proposing a solution to a question, which you will later present in front of judges in a competition. This is a fun way to get introduced to the case competitions at Ross. To be honest with you, all throughout high school I would do presentations I scraped together the night before with minimum effort and rely solely on my presentation skills. This does not work in college. Especially with a presentation this big. Countless hours were spent with my group laughing, crying, arguing, and working together on this presentation. Although it was exhausting at its worse, it was an experience that helped me grow as a group member and friend. In the end, you compete against other teams in the cohort and get prizes for the best solution and the best presentation.
8. Going to Cedar Point with Friends (for free)
Cedar point is a right of passage for many Michiganders. Considering you're about to spend four years in this state, regardless of whether or not you're an in-state or out-of-state student, Cedar Point is a requirement for the Michigan Experience and you get to go there for free with your fellow RSC participants at the end of the program. It's the perfect way to end weeks of learning, and it bonds your cohort even more. What could bond people more than waiting in line for hours for a terrifying ride?
9. The Friends You Keep
I met some of my best friends through this program. Even though I am not close to everyone, I know I can call any member of RSC at any time for help. For instance, I have called Gabriel at least six times in the middle of the night for help on a math problem. When I was sick and in the hospital, Meredith and Ameera were the first people who came and visited me. Countless game days and weeknights have been spent with people from the program, and I have not once felt alone during college, which is saying a lot.
I really hope you join RSC. It's such an amazing program. I would honestly be worse off academically and socially if I did not join. Either way, congratulations on being admitted into the Ross School of Business and GO BLUE!!!
I really hope you join RSC. It's such an amazing program. I would honestly be worse off academically and socially if I did not join. Either way, congratulations on being admitted into the Ross School of Business and GO BLUE!!!






Comments
Post a Comment